Pages

Monday, March 20, 2017

Production in the OC

In the first unit of stage chemistry, we looked at the basics behind creating a production. We talked a lot about lighting, different types of stages, seating, and other amenities that come with theaters. We referenced different theaters that we have been to and looked at the differences between them. For the Action Project, we were tasked with choosing a space and a story that we would like to make into a production. We then had to look at different amenities that our space had that was bennifical to the audience as well as the artists. It was difficult at first to choose where I wanted my show to take place since there were so many options, but I am glad that I ended up using the OC.
_____________________________________________________________

MF. OC. 2017

I chose to build my theater right inside the GCE location. I chose to use this space because it is a great size and the layout of the room was perfect for my production of Bob's Burgers. Since my production takes place in a restaurant and a house, having the square size room worked very well. I used a proscenium stage because I felt like, with the restaurant theme, the audience would feel like they were sitting in the restaurant with the actors. 

This idea was very easy to bring to life because the room is in a space that I have access too. I was able to easily gather my measurements and figure out the way that my stage could look. I chose to use this space because I was also able to use other rooms that are connected to the OC. I was able to use the cafe as a lounge and backstage area, while it looks crowded with all of the tables inside of it, when removed, the space is the perfect fit for a backstage area. The purple crates can be used for prop storage, they are right near the door to enter the stage so it would be helpful for them to have everything they need for the show easily accessible. People can stay in the cafe until it is their turn to be on stage and they will have easy access to the stage.

There were not very many difficulties with this space. The only one that was a small disadvantage was the lighting. The OC has large glass windows that have no shades on them so the lighting is very hard to control. If I were to do this project over again I would try and use another location that has better lighting so that I can control it.

Goodman Theater: My Theater: %

Area of Stage: 4000 sq ft 140.25 sq ft 3.5%

Maximum Capacity: 856 people 35 people 4.08%

Box Office: 20 sq ft 200 sq ft 10%

Lobby: 1912.5 sq ft 486 sq ft 25.4%

Prop Storage: 525 sq ft 212.5 sq ft 40.4%

Concessions: 168.75 sq ft 200 sq ft 118.5%

No comments:

Post a Comment