Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Matagalpa, Nicaragua

This summer for 3.5 weeks, I had the chance to travel to Matagalpa Nicaragua with an amazing organization called Global Glimpse. Over the course of those 3.5 weeks I learned a lot about the country I was in as well as myself. This was a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget as long as I live.

I traveled to this foreign country along with 17 other people that I knew almost nothing about (there were 20 of us in total but I got the chance to travel with two people from GCE). Being in a new place with completely unfamiliar people was something very new for me. It really pushed me far outside of my comfort zone and made me make a lot of new friends. 

While I was there I was able to do some pretty incredible things. In the country we built a door, a ceiling, a wall, and installed a mural all in 2 1/2 days! It was a lot of work but it was for a great organization called Infancia sin Fronteras which basically translates to Boundless Childhood. We built these things in a bad neighborhood in Matagalpa. The building we worked on was a school for young children as well as a hospital. They wanted us to build things for the school because there was nothing separating the children from the sick people and they were getting sick. After completing all of the work and being able to look at all of the amazing work we had done made me feel so amazing. While we were working people from the neighborhood were constantly telling us how great it looked and that they were so glad we were working so hard. There were so many kids that came by day after day just to watch us work. 

This entire experience changed my life. It really made me realize that I take a lot of things for granted. I am so lucky for everything I have and I need to be more thankful. I met so many amazing people that have changed my life for the better. From the countless hours of playing cards to the walks around town to get coffee, I wouldn't change one bit of my experience in Nicaragua. 


Airport. (2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment